Onkyo Corporation is offering netbooks and laptops with rather interesting features that you’ll be unable to find in other companies product lines. For example the Onkyo DC411 Pine Trail netbook or Onkyo DR511 laptop, both have TV Tuner and FM Radio capabilities. The model we will be talking today is less powerful than any of this two, but can run for up to 14.4 hours on one battery charge.
Onkyo MX1007A4 is a thin and light netbook being just 18~22mm thick and weighing only 1.16kg. In order to achieve this impressive long battery life Onkyo made a compromise, it used an Intel Atom Z515 processor running at 1.2GHz, thereby cutting the performance down.
This processor is no match for today’s Intel Atom N450, but its TDP is only 2W, compared with N450’s 5W. A more sound choice would’ve been an Atom Z550 which has the same TDP but runs at 2GHz and is overall faster than N450, but this would’ve got prices too high and Onkyo didn’t chose this plan. Even so the reduced processing power helps this little netbook to almost doubles the battery life compared with majority of N450-based netbooks.
Let’s see whit what components did Onkyo decided to equip the netbook:
- Display: 10.1 inch widescreen LED backlit LCD with 1024×600 pixels of resolution
- Processor: Intel Atom Z515 running at 1.2 GHz (TDP 2W)
- Chipset: Intel US15W
- Graphics: Intel GMA 500
- OS: Windows 7 Starter Edition
- Memory: 1GB of RAM
- Storage: 250GB hard drive
- I/O ports: 2xUSB2.0, 1xVGA, card reader (SDHC), audio in/out jacks, fingerprint sensor, touchpad with gesture support
- Connectivity: 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, Ethernet 10/100
- Webcam: 1.3 megapixels web camera
- Battery: 10.8V/5,800 mAh Lithium-Ion
- Dimensions: 266 x 230 x 18~22 mm
Onkyo MX1007A4 netbook will be officially launched tomorrow (April 10) in Japan for 59800 yen (about $637). We have no word from Onkyo yet about international sales.